Monday, January 19, 2009

Album Review: "OK Computer" by Radiohead


ManBoy

Radiohead's  "OK Computer".  The album that contains the popular songs "Karma Police" and "Paranoid Android."  Give it a listen in its entirety and you will find that it contains much much more than just two good songs.  These so-called hits aren't even on my top 5 songs from this album.   Thats how good this album is.  I've been listening to it non-stop for over 10 days now.  With every listen, I learn something new.  Lessons about life, about sadness, about not conforming to the robotic ways of life.

I've had this album lying around for a while but I was never compelled to sit down and listen to it. During the time of my ignorance, I was just like everybody else, at peace with those two radio hits. Why I decided to hear it in full? I don't know.  All I know is that I did.  

If your into radio hits, simple-pop and songs about happiness, this album is not for you.  In fact, Radiohead is not for you.  These guys write complex songs.  In this album, you will find electronica rhythms, eerie sounds make with the keyboard, and odd time signatures.  Not your typical Fall Out Boy record (Fall Out Boy sucks).    Listen to this album and prepare yourself to smile, because thats exactly what happened when it ended.  

No Mames rating of "OK Computer":  5 out of 5 stars 

(Hearing "OK Computer" inspired me to rank my personal Top 5 Albums.  The criteria for this list is simple: they are albums I have heard in their entirety.  You can't call an album a masterpiece if it contains a few good songs.  Thats bullshit.  Some might get angry for not mentioning well-known classics such as the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" or Bob Dylans "Blonde on Blonde" for example.  I acknowledge that those are timeless albums with great songs.  But unfortunately, I have not heard those albums in their entirety.  Once I do, we'll see if my list changes.)

ManBoy's Top 5 Albums:

1. "Abbey Road"  - The Beatles
2. "OK Computer" -  Radiohead
3. "Rubber Soul"  - The Beatles
4. "Nevermind" - Nirvana
5. "Our Love to Admire" - Interpol

Honorable Mention:
"Discovery" - Daft Punk
"The White Album" - The Beatles 
"Let It Be" - The Beatles
"De-Loused in a Comatorium" - The Mars Volta
"Alchemy Index Vols. I & II"  - Thrice


No comments:

Post a Comment