Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Music Loves the Animal Kingdom

Lady

So it's pretty obvious that there has been a HUGE trend in the indie rock world that has to do with none other than furry creatures. It seems you can call your band anything that has the word Bear in it and you're set for success. Seriously though, count the indie bands that have gotten popular in the last year and at least half of them will have a name that is some kind of reference to an animal or nature: Grizzly Bear, Panda Bear, Minus the Bear, Deerhoof, Wolf Parade, Wolf Mother, the list goes on. I guess this has a lot to do with the recent folk rock explosion. Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of this genre, but when anything with the words "Fur, (yeah the song by Blitzen Trapper which I love but is still a song about wolves and what not), Horse (Band of Horses among others), or Mountain (I don't even wanna go into it because the list would be endless)" becomes huge right off the bat, you have to wonder. What is it about animals that makes people wanna listen? Is it our loss of connection to our dear Mother Nature that's got us running toward anything animal? Just something to ponder. But what's next? Name your band Gorgeous Orangutang, Wounded Platypus? How about Chortling Yetti? I dare you. Oh and for the record, I'd like to say to those who pioneered the trend, (Arctic Monkeys, Modest Mouse, hell, Flock of Seagulls) I love you guys, and I don't think you were trying to name yourselves something gimmickey...dunno how that's spelled...just to get ahead. We acknowledge that you were first. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment